The San Diego County Veterinary Medical Association (SDCVMA) was organized in 1941, although there are records and reports of gatherings much earlier. After World War II, the Association grew in membership and activities and became incorporated in 1961. The first SDCVMA business office opened in the late 1960’s in La Mesa, and our second and current location is in the Mission Valley area of central San Diego.
Members of the SDCVMA have a valued history of public service. Numerous members provide the mandated spay & neuter surgeries of the County’s sheltered animals via contract at reduced fees. A portion of our members provide reduced fee rabies vaccinations and provide dog licensing for residents of San Diego County Department of Animal Services jurisdiction. Most members provide a free exam to the public who adopt a pet from a County shelter or humane society and reduced fee services to animal rescue organizations. Some veterinarians provide emergency medical services to the County Department of Animal Services and other agencies and humane societies at greatly reduced fees or at no cost. Many veterinarians provide free or reduced fee medical services to the County’s wildlife population through various programs and groups. And many veterinarians stand ready to assist our community in the event of a disaster.